Sunday, October 17, 2021

How to prevent colds for those who can't take a day off. Morning Musume '18's Iron Lady, Ikuta Erina

It's that time of year when colds and flu are coming up. We don't want to get sick, and if we do, we want to get well as soon as possible. But what are the best cold remedies that really work?

For those of you who are wondering, CanCam.jp has conducted an extensive survey on the cold remedies of various "entertainment industry" workers!

This time, we spoke with Morning Musume 18's sub-leader, Ikuta Erina.

The group's high quality singing and dancing is so amazing that it makes you want to say "They are no longer idols but rather athletes!". Morning Musume has been steadily gaining more and more fans with their abilities. The group holds more than 100 concerts a year, as well as various events, stage performances, and sometimes overseas performances. One of them, Eripon, also known as Ikuta Erina, has been a member of Morning Musume for 8 years since she joined the group in 2011 and is considered to be an "iron lady"!

To find out what kind of measures she takes, we asked her to bring many of her personal items that she uses to fight a cold... We'll be showing you the actual items & measures exclusively on CanCam.jp.

Q: What do you do to prevent colds and flu?

I always carry around Manuka honey candy. Recently, they have been selling small bags at convenience stores. So I can even carry them with me when I use a small bag. Although I use them for health, I just like honey candy in general (laughs).

Other than that, I also often use an inhaler. Since I was suggested by my doctor to add salt into the water for the inhaler, I add that as well. All of the members use an inhaler before live performances. It's good for preventing colds and for maintaining your health. It also helps to "moist" the throat which can make it easier to speak. Even though it's part of the office equipment, I bought the same one for myself (laughs).

Q: What kind of measures do you take when the cold and flue are spreading around you?

Especially during the Hello! Project concerts held every winter, we sometimes have about 10 cases of influenza. So I have to be extra careful and will wear a wet mask all the time. I also try to stay away from people who look like they have a cold or the flu.

Q: Is there anything you do to maintain your health?

I try to sleep for 7 to 8 hours as much as possible. I also try to take a walk if I have to move around a bit, I'll take 10,000 steps a day.

In my room, I basically turn on the humidifier. Dryness is a girl's worst enemy! I try to put the humidifier as close to my bed as possible to prevent colds and to protect my skin.

Q: If you get sick, what do you do to recover as soon as possible?

Whenever I get a burning throat, I eat Manuka honey, which I always have at home.

Also, when you are about to catch a cold, a wet mask is essential. This is really important (laughs). I travel around a lot, and when I'm on the move, I always make sure to have a wet mask with me, because the dry weather can easily make it worse.

When I'm not feeling well, I ask the doctor at the hospital to give me a fever reducer that works really well. It really works so well that I feel better the next day after taking it.

Q: What's your secret for having been able to keep working full time since your debut ?

When it comes to taking care of my health, it's my determination to be able to perform (laughs).

For example, if I went to see an idol and he or she wasn't on stage, I would be very sad. Besides, the fans have spent their hard-earned money to come to the show, so if I'm not there, it would be a waste of their hard work. I want to make sure that doesn't happen. That's why even if I'm feeling a little under the weather, I try to do my best with a smile on my face when I appear in front of anyone.

Especially after I had been a member of Morning Musume for about five years, my fans started to say, "You've never been absent right". Since then, I've been trying to take better care of my health.

Next time, we'll dig deeper into beauty and health! We'll talk about diet, exercise, skincare and sleep.

(Photography by Ishiyama Takashi; Stylist - Tanabe Saori; Hair & Make-up - Akiyama Hitomi (PEACE MONKEY); Composition - Goto Kaori)


Original article: https://cancam.jp/archives/630115?post_date=20181220211942
Translated by: ©Eriponderful World